Repairing Pitch Marks
- Use a ball/pitch mark repair tool whenever possible.
- Insert the repair tool at the edge of the pitch mark. Do NOT insert the tool within the depression itself.
- Push the tool forward from the edge of the pitch mark toward the centre. Do this around the edges of the indentation.
- Do NOT insert the tool under the indented area and push up – a common mistake. Think of it as pushing turf in from the edges toward the centre.
- Tap down the repaired area with your putter so that the surface is even.
- If your pitch mark has actually displaced a piece of turf, do not replace it. Just work around the edges with your repair tool as normal. Any replaced turf will simply die, delaying the healing process.
- Pushing the tines of your repair tool under the indented area and pushing up only damages the root system.
- You should not only always repair your pitch marks, but, time permitting, you should repair any other ball marks you see, too.